Official Translation of Divorce Documents in the UK

By Dalila Segador

Sworn Official Translator

The demand for official translations of English and Spanish divorce documents continues to grow as a result of British citizens getting divorced and having assets in Spain or living and getting divorced in Spain. Equally, Spanish citizens may also get divorced in the UK if they are living there or citizens of other nationalities may have got married in Spain but if they are living in the UK, they will submit their divorce petition to the courts in the UK.

If a couple got married in Spain but they are getting divorced in the UK, they will have to submit the official translations into English of, among others, the following documents:

  • Their Spanish marriage certificate
  • Their Libro de Familia which is the family record in which stamped copies of the marriage, birth of children, etc. are entered for official purposes
  • Marriage Articles, Capitulaciones Matrimoniales, by virtue of which the spouses agree the financial regimen which will regulate the marriage and therefore this arrangement has to be taken into account if the spouses decide to get divorced.