The Building Safety Act 2022 amends the Building Act 1984 to create new powers to prescribe requirements to those involved in procuring, designing, planning, managing, and undertaking building work, and to introduce new enforcement powers for building control authorities.
The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities has published new laws relating to the new framework which will come into effect in October of this year.
The new regulations include:
- The Building (Higher-Risk Buildings Procedures) (England) Regulations 2023
- The Building Regulations etc. (Amendment) (England) Regulations 2023
- The Building (Approved Inspectors etc. and Review of Decisions) (England) Regulations 2023
Once the new laws commence, the new building control regime will need to be followed by all those who:
- plan to build a new higher-risk building (HRB);
- create one through change of use or alteration / extension; or
- plan to undertake building work to an existing HRB.
Further guidance on the new rules can be found here. You should consider carefully how your projects/developers will be affected by the new rules to ensure that you are complying with both the procedural and functional building regulations’ requirements.
Should you wish to discuss anything mentioned in this article please get in touch with our Commercial Property team on 0345 646 0406 or fill in our online enquiry form and a member of our Team will be in touch.