Our Motoring Offences Legal Hour is hosted by Pete Dodd, Partner in our Motoring Team.

If you require further help regarding motoring law, please phone us on 01279 755777 or contact Pete Dodd Directly.

Our Motoring Team will be hosting the Nockolds Legal Hour on the following dates:

Wednesday 29th November 2017  12pm - 1pm 
Wednesday 31st January 2018 12pm - 1pm 
Wednesday 14th March 2018  12pm - 1pm 
Wednesday 25th April 2018  12pm - 1pm
Wednesday 6th June 2018 12pm - 1pm 

Our Latest Legal Hour Questions (29.11.17)

Read your previously answered questions here
I was disqualified for five years for drink driving. Can I ask the court to reduce my ban?
It all depends on the length of the ban and how long you have been disqualified for.

The law says that as long as you have been disqualified for more than two years then you can apply to the court to have it returned.

If the ban is between two to four years you have to sit out four years before you apply. For bans from four to 10 years you will sit out half of your ban.

The court will look at your character and how you have acted since you were banned, what happened when you committed the offence and any other circumstances it considers relevant.
The magistrates do not really like reducing bans unless there is good reason. You have to show that you have a very good reason why you need it back – job promotion where you need your driving licence or where someone that relies on you (an elderly relative) relies on you and they need you to drive them around. You have to show that you have ‘done your time and been useful in that period’