Rules on Permitted Development

Jul 07, 2014

Permitted development rights allow householders to improve and extend their homes without the need to seek a specific planning permission where that would be out of proportion with the impact of the works carried out. You will need to contact the council for confirmation before you start works and any confirmation will be needed when you come to sell or re-mortgage your property. We have set out a quick guide to help you, but for more information, visit

CLASS A – This covers the enlargement, improvement or alterations to a house such as a rear or side extensions as well as general alterations such as new windows and doors, and from 30 May 2013 to 30 May 2016 a neighbour consultation scheme for larger rear extensions.

Class B – This covers additions or alterations to roofs which enlarge the house such as loft conversions involving dormer windows

Class C – This covers other alterations to roofs such as re-roofing or the installation of roof lights

Class D – This covers the erection of a porch outside an external door

Class E – This covers the provision of buildings and other development on land surrounding the house (the ‘curtilage’)

Class F – This covers the provision of hard surfaces on land surrounding the house such as driveways

Class G – This covers the installation, alteration, or replacement of a chimney, flue or soil and vent pipe

Class H – This covers the installation, alteration, or replacement of microwave antenna such as satellite dishes









Jo Rogers

About the author

Jo Rogers

Jo joined Nockolds in 2007 and is a Senior Chartered Legal Executive in our Residential Property Team. Before joining the firm Jo completed a joint honours ...

View Profile »

« Back

No articles available