A Quick Guide to Building Regulations

Jul 07, 2014

When carrying out works to a property, you are likely to need building regulations consent which will be required when you come to sell or re-mortgage. You will need to contact the local council, but as a quick guide to help you, we have set out the different approved documents that may be required. For more detailed information, see

Approved Document A  - This deals with Structural Safety.

Approved Document B - This deals with Fire Safety.

Approved Document C  - This deals with Resistance to Contaminants and Moisture.

Approved Document D – This deals with Toxic Substances.

Approved Document E – This deals with Resistance to Sound.

Approved Document F – This deals with Ventilation.

Approved Document G – This deals with Sanitation, Hot Water Safety and Water Efficiency.

Approved Document H – This deals with Drainage and Waste Disposal.

Approved Document J – This deals with Heat Producing Appliances.

Approved Document K – This deals with Protection from Falling.

Approved Document L – This deals with Conservation of Fuel and Power.

Approved Document M – This deals with Access To and Use of Buildings.

Approved Document N – This deals with Glazing Safety (Only relevant to Wales from 6.4.13)

Approved Document P – This deals with Electrical Safety.

Approved Document 7 – This deals with Workmanship and Materials.

Jo Rogers

About the author

Jo Rogers

Jo joined Nockolds in 2007 and is a Senior Chartered Legal Executive in our Residential Property Team. Before joining the firm Jo completed a joint honours ...

View Profile »

« Back

No articles available