What you put in you will get out?

Mar 16, 2014
Just because a contribution has been made to purchase a property does not mean that that the party who made the investment will automatically receive that sum back if a cohabiting relationship breaks down. In the first instance the information recorded on the TR1 document which is completed when the property is purchased will be considered.

A Declaration of Trust can assist by setting out the parties’ intentions and clarify how the percentage of any share has been calculated, so that if there is any query in the future there is a written record of why the TR1 has been completed in the way which it has. This can also help to protect other parties such as parents or grandparents who have helped their child or grandchild on to the property ladder by setting out their contribution to fund the purchase of the property.

For further information about separation and cohabiting please contact our Family & Matrimonial Law Team at or call 01279 712556.

Jenna Brewer

About the author

Jenna Brewer

Jenna joined Nockolds in 2005 and is a Charted Legal Executive in our Family Team. Whilst at Nockolds Jenna has studied law through CILEX (The Chartered ...

View Profile »

« Back

No articles available