Civil Partnerships and Same Sex Marriages

Same sex marriage
How We Can Help 
Client Testimonials
Industry Recognition

Click here to read our Divorce and Divorce Finance FAQs

Civil partnerships were introduced in England in 2004 to give people in a same-sex relationship the right to enter a formal civil partnership, giving them the same rights as married people. In 2013, this was extended to giving people in a same-sex relationships or civil partnerships the right to get married in either a civil or religious ceremony. 

Once you are in a same-sex marriage or civil partnership, you have the same rights as those who are of opposite sexes and are married, including:

  • Right to claim maintenance for yourself
  • Right to claim against the other person's pensions
  • Right to claim against any assets held in joint or separate names

To end a same-sex marriage or civil partnership, you have to have been married or in a civil partnership for at least a year, and either separated for at least two years - or able to list details of the other person's unreasonable behaviour. 

We are able to advise and assist you in dealing with the dissolution/divorce. The dissolution or divorce enables the court to make an order about the finances of the relationship.

We would advise you to discuss your situation with us in detail before making any decisions. 

For further information on Divorce/Dissolution and to find out how we can help you, please contact our Family Law Team on 01279 755777 or get in touch with Lynn Cowley, Partner in our Family Team. 

Our Blog

Check our latest Family and Matrimonial news here

Our Events

Check our latest Family and Matrimonial related events here

Our Clients

Find out what our clients think of our service here