Children and Grandparents

Grandparent and child holding hands
How We Can Help 
Client Testimonials
Industry Recognition

Click here to read our Children and Grandparent FAQs​

When you divorce or separate from the other parent of your child, it is not always possible to agree the arrangements for your child between you. The court can assist by making a Child Arrangement Order which can set out matters such as:
  • Where your child will live; and
  • When your child will have contact with each parent

The court does require that the party making the application attends a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAM) prior to the application being made, though there are a few exemptions to this requirement. 

The court can also make other orders regarding your child if you are unable to agree. A prohibited steps order prevents an action such as removing a child from the country and a specific issue order is where the court considers a specific matter relating to the child such as where your child will go to school.

If you are the parent of the child or have parental responsibility for the child then you do not need permission to make an application for one of these orders. For other adults such as grandparents, permission from the court is required to make the application.

If you encounter difficulties with your arrangements regarding your child or you receive a notice that an application has been made for any of these orders, we would encourage you to contact us as soon as you can so that we can advise you on the options.

If you would like help regarding children and grandparent's rights, please contact our Family Team on 01279 755777 or get in touch with Lynn Cowley, Partner in our Family Team. 

Our Blog

Check our latest Family and Matrimonial news here

Our Events

Check our latest Family and Matrimonial related events here

Our Clients

Find out what our clients think of our service here