Official translations are the translations of documents which need to serve as legally valid instruments. Only official translators are authorised to certify official translations. In Spain, official translators are appointed by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Dalila Segador, of Nockolds Solicitors, is an Official Translator of Spanish and English appointed by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Sworn Translator no. TIJ 3674) and a Qualified Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists in the UK.
An official translation would be required in the following circumstances:
- If a British company wants to open an office in Spain, the official translations of the deed of incorporation and the memorandum and article of association, among other documents, will have to be submitted to the Spanish authorities such as the equivalent of Companies House in Spain. Spanish banks may also require these official translations when opening a company bank account.
- If a Spanish property is purchased in the name of a British company, the aforesaid company documents and the official translations will have to be presented to the Spanish notaries and land registrars.
- Assets in the name of a British company can be part of divorce proceedings in Spain. The official translation of the court order together with the official translations of the aforesaid company documents will be requested by the Spanish court.
- A British charity can be the beneficiary of assets in Spain by virtue of an English Will. The Spanish notaries, land registrars and banks will need the official translation of the mentioned company documents and the death certificate, the Grant of Probate with the Will officially translated into Spanish.
- If a British company has been set up in Spain, the Spanish Social Security or Tax Office may need official translations of employment contracts or pay rolls.
- A British company may also need to enforce a Spanish judgment in the UK or an English judgment in Spain. In both cases, the official translation of the judgment will be required by the relevant court.
- Equally, official translations of intellectual property documents into Spanish may be needed for a British company set up in Spain.
Nockolds Solicitors offers a wide official translation service of documents related to most areas of law. For more information please contact Dalila Segador at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01279 712525.